Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Fur Baby Birthday Party

Today's blog is for all my dog lovin' people out there!  January 28th is always a bittersweet day for me.  It is my sweet Gracie's birthday and this year she turns 10! We rescued each other on November 19, 2003. It was love at first sight!
I was living in Muncie, IN and needed a companion.  I needed a dog.  I spent most of my life with a dog and living all alone was hard but without a dog seemed down right depressing.  I had searched all of the local shelters but none of them felt like my soul mate.  I was ready to give up until my mom called me at work and said she had found my dog at my hometown shelter and I needed to come home that day and see her.  I did and we both knew right away.  She was 10 months old and just skin and bones.  The picture to the above makes her look pretty good but she was pretty sad.  She had been kept outside, tied to a deck with a 6 foot rope.  She didn't know how to play, she was unsure of being inside, and she did not understand love.  I spent all of my non-working time with her just sitting on the floor loving on her.  She began to trust me and love me.  And I fell so deeply in love with her.  She has been there through everything.  (Like in the picture to the below.  I had broken my wrist on New Years Day 2010.  She didn't want to leave my side.)
Those who love dogs like I love dogs, you know how unconditional their love is.  How deeply they understand your pain, sickness, and love. 
I am going to admit something many will think is crazy.  I was so worried before my son was born that I would either not love my child like I did my dog, or that I would not be able to give my Gracie the love she deserved.  Thankfully, I do love my son so very much and get plenty of good cuddles with my girl.  There are days I feel like she is looking at me like, "Lady, why did you ever bring that crazy, noisy thing in here?"  But I also know she is very protective of him and loves him too.  And he adores her.  He looks for her first thing when he wakes up!
So bittersweet another birthday, because I know these angels are called home much too soon for my heart.  Every year we celebrate because she is just as special as any other member of the family.  But every year I cry a little bit more knowing our days together are getting fewer and fewer. 
She may not be born from my body, or even a human being, but she is my first baby and she always will be.  So today my son and I made her doggie cupcakes and we sang Happy Birthday to her at least half a million times! 

10 years old today and that kid makes me feel all of it!




Doggie Cupcakes without "icing"





Are you sure that is for me?

Adapted from an e-mail from DogAge® Tip of the Week

Cheesy Carrot Cupcakes - 12 mini cupcakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated carrot
1 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/8 cup vegetable oil
Peanut butter or plain yogurt to "ice" them

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line it with paper baking cups. I like mini cupcakes but if you wanted to double the recipe you can do 12 regular cupcakes.

Combine all of the ingredients just until moistened.
Fill the cups full with the mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins feel springy. Be sure to let the muffins cool about 5 minutes and then "ice" them.  Let them cool completely before serving to your sweet fur baby!

        Recipe from: DOGS: The Ultimate Care Guide, edited by Matthew Hoffman.

So do something a little special for your furry friend for my Gracie!
 
Pin It
 

No comments:

Post a Comment