Monday, January 7, 2013

Pinterest successes and maybe a little failure


Okay by now you have probably figured out that I am fairly obsessed with Pinterest.  I probably spend way too much time pinning things I will more than likely never do but hey we can all dream right? Well today in honor of the fact that my kid is sleeping like it is only a suggestion, I thought I would share a few easy recipes and other items you can do with little to no sleep with success!

Okay, lets get this out of the way.  Yes, I give my kid sugar.  Yes, I give him sugar at breakfast sometimes.  I enjoyed sugar as a kid and grew up fine.  Moderation is the key with anything in life and we should all get to enjoy sweets now and then!  Phew I feel better. On with the show! 

Cinnamon Roll Waffles rock my face off!

    So here is how mine turned out:
So good I could lick my monitor a little! They are crispy on the outside but not hard like they are from the oven, and so soft and good on the inside!  I obviously put 4 in at time because I used the generic original ones.
 
And here is my son enjoying them! He ate two of the four!
 
Next up Quinoa! Okay if you are like me you were saying, "what is this quin-oo-wa stuff and why do I want to eat it?"  Well first let me help you with how it is said, because it took me forever to get it right.  It is pronounced "keen-wah"  and it is stupid easy to work with and delicious.  With that said be careful when measuring and pouring - these little suckers want to run everywhere and if you spill them you will be finding them for potentially years.
So I thought I would start out simple and found this recipe on Pinterest (have I mentioned my love affair yet) but adapted it just a smidge.


Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa - adapted from Mom What's for Dinner

1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
2 cups  shredded cheddar cheese

Add quinoa, broth and broccoli to a large pot.
Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender (tiny taste test).  Add the cheese - in my world I do not ever measure cheese - I add until I am happy about the cheesiness! Let it melt into the other goodness and enjoy!


The hubs was very skeptical about quinoa but liked this so much he finished what was left in the pot!  Just think of the possibilities with this recipe!  I am thinking next time quinoa, diced onions, and chicken broth - then add diced Italian style tomatoes and mozzarella (by the way I was so sure there was a "t" in mozzarella - dang it spelling is hard!).



Okay and for one non food item - DIY bows


 
Source: bhg.com via Kristin on Pinterest

Used this to make a nice bow for my Christmas wreath and it turned out great! I used pens instead of dowels - on hand - no cost!!!
Finished product:
And just for fun one Pinterest item I tried and failed.
I made this and it was not addicting and the caramel topping got really watery and pretty gross. This was what someone else said,  "Also known as Apple Crack Dip because it's THAT addicting!"  It was however, not too shabby when I went at it with the immersion blender and then it was pretty decent but looked NOTHING like this!



So that is a little taste of my Pinterest trials.
Please post your Pinterest success and failures!
Oh and if you have any good quinoa recipes please share with the class!


Pin It

1 comment: