Saturday, January 12, 2013

Did I hear the word "Muffins"?

So I never used to eat breakfast at breakfast.  I was the kid - into adulthood who lived through the morning on nothing but liquids.  My mom would get some nutrition in me with good ol' Carnation Instant Breakfast.  Every great once in awhile I would eat more - if donuts or some other sweet treat was involved.  Then even into my early twenties I would have a yogurt smoothie and coffee.  Don't get me wrong I LOVE breakfast foods.  I just hated to eat in the early a.m.   This all changed when I learned how blood sugar dips and without a steady supply of healthy food energy you get that "crash" feeling and then you eat more than you would and chances are worse than you would have -if only you would have had breakfast.  I became a breakfast fanatic!  I love trying out new healthy recipes for breakfast and all the better if they stretch for several breakfasts!  So today I bring you a combo post of Pinterest success and what came out of it - a recipe of mine.

See I took this woman's idea of a base recipe and then came up with this amazing muffin recipe that my son cannot get enough of and my husband asked to share at a work meeting!

Her basic Muffin Mix is a great way to start experimenting with ingredients.  I did a first version that was pretty good with apples and cinnamon but these are what I would like to think of as coffeehouse good!

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

For 2 dozen
Preheat oven to 400 and spray muffin tins with non stick flour spray.

2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 cups of quick cooking oatmeal
2 Tbsp of baking powder
scant 1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of skim milk
1 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt
2 eggs
1/3 cup of applesauce
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
2-3 mashed bananas
2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup of packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp of honey

Mix dry, add wet, add the rest. Mix until just moistened. Fill muffin cups nearly full.
Sprinkle with brown sugar. (This gives it a great slightly sweet crunchy top!)
Bake for 18 minutes.
Let cool for at least 5 minutes.
Enjoy!
If you wanted to go healthier (sad for you - just kidding - I should be healthier too!) you could substitute raisins for the chocolate chips, egg substitute for the eggs, and Splenda for the brown sugar.

 

Pin It

1 comment: